Siryn's Song

Monday, August 29, 2005

Notice

So today I trundled over to my leasing office and handed them my extremely brief but highly effective letter.

To: [Apartment Complex] From: [Siryn] Please accept this as my 30 day notice that I will be vacating my apartment, [specific apartment location in the complex]. And then, handwritten: the long, luxurious scrawl that is my signature.
Mwah! So it begins. At work today, the day was ruined - my boss wasn't out of town like he was supposed to be - he's here! aCk! So I had a day subjected to "So what are you working on?" "What's on your plate?" "Can I talk to you for a minute?" and other random annoying micromanaging things for him to do, like... read something in our doorway, just because, and then turn around. Or this gem... coming in just to ask about the MTV Video Music Awards and if we saw someone on it. Don't you have anything better to do, man? Like, work? We did talk about this one case I'm working on - in anticipation of his trip, I made him take the discovery material with him to review it, since he was supposed to have a lot of travel time. I hadn't gotten a chance to look at it yet, and I figured it would have been good to let him become intimately familiar with the documents ahead of time. Especially since, y'know, I'm quitting. ;D And then at the end of the day, he goes and shares something personal with me. No, I'm not divulging it here. I wish that a) it didn't happen and b) that he didn't share it with me. It makes what I have to do tomorrow that much harder. You see, as much as I relish the thought of getting the hell out of there, I do have some compassion for the man. These problems are his own GD fault; he has to kick his maturity, selflessness, and responsibility up several notches. However, I do understand how it feels to feel a piece of your dream crumble away. My leaving is going to be the biggest blow of all of them. He's under fire (and rightfully so) from the folks that keep lawyers in check. He's done some unethical, unprofessional, and unscrupulous things. In his pride, he lies to cover up things so as to save face. I know that the moment I tell him I'm quitting, I can expect a decrease in my paycheck. He's just THAT unscrupulous. And yet he's not a total monster. There have been times when he's been genuinely concerned about others without caring if it made him look good to be compassionate. And we've been together so long, it's going to be harsh on him. Et tu, Siryn? Yes, Dirty Clown. Et me. (I don't speak Latin, so... sue me.) So tomorrow will be bittersweet. More sweet than bitter for me. All bitter for him. I'm going to wait until close to the end of the day to drop the bomb. There is no going back now - the wheels are in motion, gears are turning, 'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane, Don't know when I'll be back again. Oh babe, I hate to go... Minus the jet plane, and apologies to the late John Denver. But tomorrow is showtime! Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home