Siryn's Song

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Levity

Found a funny blog about someone that hates their roommate ("flatmate"). Go here. Now, I'm a slob by myself, but even I know what is not tolerable when living with another person, much less 3. Some of the stuff there... eeesh. Definitely living alone till marriage. Brother news: later today (it is in the wee hours, now) he has a "functional MRI" - they are looking at the tumor to see what vessels are feeding it, supposedly. Basically, it's so they will know where to cut. I begged my mother on Monday to please let him get his surgery at MCV (the Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University), where he had been previously treated, or at Sloan Kettering in New York. The first time he had the surgery, he had it at New York Hospital - Cornell University's teaching hospital. He'd also seen a doctor from Sloan, which is a few blocks from NY Hospital. Those people were competent and cared about my brother. I do not feel confident about where he is now. The thing needs to be cut out, and soon - and even though it takes time to transfer medical records, I feel it's worth it. I'm losing this battle, however. The worst thing about this? We really have no recourse - I mean, I'm a lawyer and there is no real way to punish the doctors who slept at the wheel with my brother's healthcare. Damages are going to be hard to determine (outside of sunk costs, or costs that we would have incurred anyway if it had been detected early), and the cost of getting an expert to say that he wouldn't have needed surgery or somesuch is way too much. Basically, I think the only way we could sue would be if he died, because it's likely that only then would the damages could be high enough for a lawyer to be willing take the case. And that's not a price I want to pay just to sue the bastards. I just want him healthy. But those pricks need to be reported.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home