Siryn's Song

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Kick the Puppy

The new guy dropped the bomb on my boss. I was out of the office notarizing a document when it happened. All I know is that later, the new guy makes a beeline for the door and shortly thereafter, my boss comes out and looks a little visibly shaken. His voice is trembling a little and is much softer, and his eyes look a little red. He seriously looks like he's about to cry, like a kicked puppy. Of course, I don't say anything...I'm just working away, la la la... I expect to be blamed for this, of course. Me, the disgruntled one that influences everyone... yeah right. As if these people can't see with their own eyes? The new guy calls me later on and fills me in a little - he started bullshitting him with all the stuff that's going to change, like a salary increase for everyone (yeah right). He's begging him to stay another 45 days, he'll make things right. The new guy was there, thinking, you need to become another person, you have to go all the way back to the womb! It's not happening. He wasn't dissuaded. It's sad and funny at the same time. It's sad, because when I stop and think about it and put myself in my boss' shoes, I can feel the struggle for a dream, and feeling a little piece of the dream die. Something that you have to rebuild, AGAIN. But then I come back to reality and realize that he is such a narcissistic asshole, that he can't truly grasp what it means to care about other people. He runs the place like it's a big firm, and he's the partner that spends his day golfing and schmoozing with new clients with more work for his little lackeys. Last night, it was me and the other girl looking for case law for a criminal trial in a federal court that they are in the middle of. It's not my case, but we didn't have Lexis because *ding ding ding* Lexis' bill wasn't fully paid up. So I'm doing what I can to help her find stuff because I am a stronger researcher - and I'm faster. I voluntarily stayed to help her, so she could get home quicker. How concerned was he? He went to the gym. So much for preparedness, caring about winning. So in the end... no, I don't feel sorry for him. Karma is a bitch, and I hear that she bites. He is the kind of person that has to learn things the hard way. It's a shame that it has to come to this, but he has only himself to blame. He just hasn't figured that out yet, in his heart of hearts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home