Siryn's Song

Sunday, July 24, 2005

End of an Era - Lance Armstrong, Tour de France 1999 - 2005

The incredible Lance Armstrong won his 7th Tour de France today. I'm a little weepy. His is an inspirational story, winning the TdF 7 times in a row after cancer wracked his body. And he has a lot of class about him, showing respect (most of the time) to other riders and the French people. There is a picture in the Washington Post of Lance holding stage winner Alejandro Valverde's hand as they are finishing up one of the stages. All you can see is the handshake. I'm a little more weepy. It's kind of sad to see him go, but I'm happy he went out on top. I am sure he could probably come back next year and get #8, but it is a great thing that he wants to spend more time with his children. I don't think we've seen the last of him, but as far as the tour goes, yes, we have. I have deep respect for Lance and for all the riders of the TdF - the most grueling competition in the world, hands down. No one can replace Lance, and I might not live to see another like him in the Tour. Keeping up with the Tour, for me, is like watching a competition like The Contender - each man has his own story, and is inspiring in his own way. You don't really have anyone to root against, and you wish them all well. You might root for one or two over the others, but it's never a pleasure to see anyone lose - or in the case of the Tour, to see anyone crash. It's heartbreaking to see the torn flesh of these guys as they bite it on the pavement. My skin groans just thinking about it. Death on the Tour is a reality - one rider perished after a horrible crash a few years ago. You just wish them all well, to be safe. So next year, I am rooting for Ivan Basso of Team CSC, 2nd place today and 3rd last year. He may not be a 7-year or 5-year winner, but he has what it takes to win this thing at least once. He is the only guy that could hang with Lance all the way through the mountains, last year and this year. Plus he has a great personality, and a very warm and open face. Best of luck next year, Ivan. Lance... you don't believe in God, and my prayer is that God will soften your heart enough to open it and receive him. You've done a wonderful thing here and you continue to do wonderful things for cancer survivors. You have a tremendous respect for basic human dignity and decency. I don't know how you can believe in miracles without believing in a god. I hope that changes. Whatever may come, continue to live strong. I know that you will. You have also inspired me to do so as well. Thanks, Lance. And Godspeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home