Siryn's Song

Saturday, September 03, 2005

This Just In: How DCers can help

I got an email from a friend who got some information about how we can help some 400-odd folks arriving here from the Gulf Coast. In pertinent part:

On Monday, September 5th, 400 families will be arriving in DC from areas devastated by Hurricane Katrina to receive shelter at the DC Armory. The First District Police Station will be collecting care packages starting at 6:30 a.m. on the 5th. Packages should not be sealed, so that police may inspect. Volunteers are welcome to go to the station to help. The greatest need at this time is for bottled water, toothbrushes, toothpaste, blankets, undergarments, soap and any other item that would constitute a “care package.” Please call the station to verify or with any questions. First District Station 415 4th Street, SW Washington, DC 20024 Phone: 202.698.0555 I have spoken with someone at the station, and if you are unable to donate any goods, I would encourage you to donate some time at the Armory - the number to volunteer is 202-727-7975. While this email is mainly going to local residents, if you are not local, I would encourage you to donate to any of the number of national disaster relief funds. If you would like to maximize the bang for your buck and don't care about a tax write off, my company has agreed to match employee contributions up to an aggregate of $500,000.00, and i'll be happy to have my company double it for you.
An opportune time for us to do something for some folks here. I'll be going through clothes, shoes, food, etc. to donate. If you are going to give a care package, please be mindful of children's needs. I'll be getting some children's things together too in the box when I get back in town on Monday. And if you want to use my friend's employer to double any financial contributions, contact me. God Bless.

2 Comments:

  • Our resident manager passed this on to everyone in our building, as well, and The Chef therefore posted on CPMC, too. I am anxious to see what the response is!! Hopefully, they will receive TONS and TONS (literally) of goods.

    By Blogger Miss Penny Lane, at 9/04/2005 11:09:00 AM  

  • Thanks guys!

    By Blogger Siryn, at 9/04/2005 03:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home