Siryn's Song

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Stood Up Again!

This makes it twice in one week that I've been stood up. What. The. Fuck? I went to work late, having rolled out of bed late and then decided to take a long shower and wash my hair. I took my sweet time getting out of the house, and ended up catching a relatively late train down to the city. I decided to post an ad on CL's strictly platonic section for a late dinner - could have been with a man or a woman. I got a handful of responses before I decided on one that sounded nice - dinner at Penang in SoHo at 10:30 with this cute Asian dude. Well, I take the train to Spring Street and decide to call the dude to let him know I was a couple of blocks away. Some guy answers and asks me if I speak spanish. Wrong number? I figure I may have fat-fingered the guy's number into my phone... until I get to Penang to find it SHUT DOWN. Lost the lease. Okay, this street is fairly dark and it's nighttime. I did NOT feel like sticking around to see if this dude was late in this place where I know no one. I started wandering a bit, because I was hungry. I found a Subway on Houston Street and got a sub meal and some cookies. I just went home after having the sub. At least that was tasty. He didn't call to say he was late, the place was closed down, or to ask where I was. Asscorn. And no, I didn't fat-finger the number. I checked. I emailed him, though. I usually don't do it after something this stupid, but I had to say it: That was uncool. I'd love to rename this blog to "Tired of Men" but one already exists. Blah.

4 Comments:

  • Woman, you are scaring me! You have got to be more careful. At the very least, if you are going to do these quickie dates, make sure that someone knows where you are and has all the information on the dude.

    I know it's not much better with the manner I handle things - I just email them for a few days or so before I go out with them, but if someone has the ability to keep up emails over a few days, a week or more, maybe their commitment to what they said they wanted in their ad is a little more true? It's easy for someone to be bored, go on CL, mess around for an afternoon and then send someone off on a wild goose chase.

    By Blogger Melissa, at 1/08/2006 11:10:00 AM  

  • Whoa. And here I was getting a picture, you: anonymity anonymity anonymity... only to read that you post on CL to meet people in a snap. Quite the contrast.

    By Blogger Dan, at 1/08/2006 12:40:00 PM  

  • It's a boredom breaker.

    And meeting in a public place. It's not like I was going over to the guy's place, or vice versa.

    And yes, I did let my roommate know where I was going.

    And Dan - Blogging anonymity is not the same thing.

    By Blogger Siryn, at 1/08/2006 04:24:00 PM  

  • I admire you for doing this. Posting an ad for a dinner or lunch date and then going through with it is brave of you. I seriously couldn't do it, but I think its cool that you do. Its not easy to meet people in this world, and mostly in New York, so I think its great that you try it whichever way makes you comfortable. Just be cautious. ANd get your bitch slap on just in case.

    By Blogger Dop T, at 1/08/2006 06:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home