Siryn's Song

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Farewells

Tonight, after church, a large bunch of us went to the Olive Garden in Tysons Corner to have one big goodbye dinner. It was about 15 people, and it was such a good time. Not so much for the food, but the company. We just laughed and joked, and they made me cry; one of the gals put together this presentation with pictures of stuff we've done over the last year, and it makes me realize just what an awesome time it's been. My life has been so greatly enriched by each and every one of them. It moves me to tears to leave. I'm so humbled to be in the company of such beautiful souls. There have been times that I've felt somewhat disconnected, and there have been times when things felt really great. But no matter what, I love these people and I am so incredibly blessed to be in their company. For the longest time, I had a love-hate relationship with this town that weighed a little heavier on the hate side. I came to DC with a singular purpose: to attend law school. I was open to liking the city, but after a while some things about the culture turned me off. I didn't go out much because at the time, I felt like I was above the place. Plus I had a boyfriend in a distant city that I was sure I was going to marry. I never wanted to put any roots down here. I didn't even bother to take a local bar exam. The plan became to get in and get out. But I didn't leave; the tight legal job market kept me here with my employer that I worked with through my last school year, and I shedded the boyfriend. And in time, I found a new church and made new friends. I made myself comfortable. I started going out more. And strangely enough, I was actually making myself happy - or, rather, learning something about contentment. And now it's time to go, and I feel pieces of my heart breaking. It's not like I'll never come back, or that they'll never visit me. It's just that we all know the way things go when you move: you get a new lease on life and the old stuff wanes away, significantly, if not completely. That is just the way life works. Humanity is funny like this; you appreciate what you have the most when you are about to lose it. Well it's not completely lost; I simply have to do more work to maintain ties. It's okay; this work is, at least, pleasurable.

5 Comments:

  • Where are you going?
    Where do you go?

    Are you looking for answers to questions under the stars?
    If along the way
    You are grown weary you can rest with me until
    A brighter day and you’re ok

    I am no superman
    I have no answers for you
    I am no hero, oh that’s for sure
    But I do know one thing
    Where you are is where I belong
    I do know where you go is where I want to be

    -- DMB

    By Blogger Johnny, at 9/12/2005 02:07:00 PM  

  • Seems we are both at turning points in our lives - both leaving DC, a city we approached with ambivalence that, against all our struggles, ended up becoming our home. DC is alot like Olive Garden - hate the food, love the company. So many things in DC will not be missed by me - but leaving the friends I have made here will tear at the fabric of my soul for years to come.

    By Blogger Dop T, at 9/12/2005 02:35:00 PM  

  • Thanks for the quote, Johnny.

    Yeah, Dop, that's exactly what is going on with me, too. But everything is going to be all right in the end...

    By Blogger Siryn, at 9/12/2005 05:02:00 PM  

  • Hey chick.. sorry i missed the party:(

    Moving never changes.. just remember 2 things.

    1. you can always come back (even if to visit)

    2. real friends aren't based on distance:)

    By Blogger Bus Snob, at 9/12/2005 10:10:00 PM  

  • Missed ya, too.

    And yeah, you're right.

    By Blogger Siryn, at 9/13/2005 11:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home