Siryn's Song

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Erased

The lovely Chase tipped us off a couple of weeks ago about a movie coming out soon, Something New. The movie is about a professional black woman finding love with a man outside her race. For once, a credible, big market romantic comedy has a black woman in the lead role. Wow! The lead character is played by the lovely Sanaa Lathan, and her beau is played by sexy Aussie Simon Baker, probably best known for his work on TV's The Guardian. Last year's "Guess Who?" doesn't count - that was more about Ashton Kutcher and Bernie Mac's hijinks rather than the romance itself and its attendant struggles. This is definitely not your typical "black" comedy. My interest was really sparked today after reading this article about the varied reactions to the movie at a screening at Howard University. I watched the trailer. I reeeeeally want to see this movie now! The topic hits home for me, because as a mixed black woman, I often feel the way the Post writer described it: erased. There are generations of feeling erased, not respected in the media. This was originally going to be the subject of my "Invisible" post a couple of posts down, but I got carried away on something else. It is very rare for a black woman, mixed or not, to be the main love interest in a movie. And the STAR, at that. It's exciting to think that a black woman other than Halle Berry, the usual exception, can be considered universally beautiful. This movie is very refreshing. It could blow chunks but I'd still want to see it anyway. Most of the early reviews, however, are good and say that the subject is handled with intelligence. Another thing that struck me in the Post article is this point:

Writer Debra Dickerson, who married a white man and has two children, wrote about this yearning to be recognized in a Salon essay analyzing her discomfort with last year's megahit comedy "Wedding Crashers:" "But somehow, by the end of the parade of weddings crashed and women laid, I realized I was sad. It took me an entire martini to figure out why: The crashers seduced their way through every culture and every ethnicity but mine. Why didn't Owen [Wilson] and Vince [Vaughn] want to seduce me, too? Why don't they want to dance with my nana at a wedding?"
Anything but black, my dear. That's a common phenomenon on dating sites like Match.com. You'll get a match in your box that is cute and sounds almost perfect... and then scroll down and find that he's selected every ethnicity but yours. Or one of yours. Or you'll figure out that the only way he came up as a reverse match was because you happened to also list your acceptable white-alternative ethnicity too. In my case, it's Asian, the new accessory. It's not so much a desire to date white men for the sake of them being white, as clearly not all white men are attractive. It is more the desire to feel universally beautiful, and to have endless options. When I was living in the South, in 1999, a dear girlfriend who happens to be white and I went out frequently and she would get hit on far more often. She was cute, but clearly overweight. I don't begrudge her her successes, because she's a great gal and it's not her fault. But the racial dynamic thing is a real bitch. Another example: the lovely Velvet and I briefly discussed this a while back. If she and I posted an ad on Craig's List, she would get far more responses because she's white. Granted, Velvet is a cool chick and would probably get more responses even if I was white. But still - Velvet doesn't have to put up with the kind of shit that black women have to face every day in the love market. I mean, do a search on CL Rants and Raves for "black women." Make sure you have your barf bag handy. The disturbing thing about it all is that some of us confine ourselves to limits inside race. I mean, come on. A person is attractive, but may happen to have a different skin color. A black woman, a latina, an asian, a native american... they are not to be "experienced" as if one was test driving a new car. For me, there are certain features that I find appealing, and it can cross many races. Probably the hottest guy that I have met in the last year or so was this hot Indian guy that I danced with at Modern in Georgetown. I swoon just thinking about him. Too young, but rawr! Hott. :) As an aside... God, I miss Modern. Much love to Stylus Chris. Anyway...I don't see why black women should be limited in choices when 42.4% of us aren't married (compared to 25% of the general female population) and it's even harder the higher up you go in socioeconomic status. Even more so, as a mixed child with a family like the UN, I find that buying into the residual slave mentality of everything white and everything black in its place is personally offensive. Just because I happen to appear black doesn't mean that I have to limit myself to black men (although there are some gorgeous ones out there. Like my favorite mistake.). I understand the need for black solidarity, but it is disgusting to me that going out with a white man could be seen as "sleeping with the enemy." There is this line in the movie that is revolting. That a couple would have to sit there and laugh at this..."I see you brought your night light with you"...or "Either you're getting your swirl on or you've got your probation officer with you." Americans are really fucked up with this racial thing. Really. This is the legacy of slavery - everything black and everything white in its place, for no logical reason. I want to retch. What I really think is going on is that many white people, men and women, think that just because your ethnicity is listed as black, you will be the "stereotypical black man/woman" that you see on shows like Martin - loud, attitude, brusque. So the fact that this movie is coming out and showing a professional black woman who is sexy, intelligent, articulate, independent, accomplished, and well-mannered - much like me - as being universally desirable is heartening. I am stoked for this movie. Bring it on.

14 Comments:

  • Wow. What a fantastic post. I'm sure racial issues (specifically "mixing" (for lack of a better word)) are still prominent in NYC, but damn, here in the South, you'd sometimes think that George Wallace was still around.

    *sigh*

    Oh, and Sanaa Lathan is hot. I had a mini-crush on her in Alien vs. Predator. In-between action scenes, of course ;)

    By Blogger sethro, at 2/01/2006 08:11:00 PM  

  • The glimpse of your perspective is enlightening. I never thought we weren't still fucked up about race in this country, but since I don't have to live it every day, I can forget. Thanks for reminding me to pay attention.

    I really want to see that movie too.

    By Blogger Jamy, at 2/02/2006 11:22:00 AM  

  • I'm sorry that asian is the new accessory. (

    I think you said that to me once.)

    On a serious note, I completely agree. Even with the asian accessory joke...I mean, asians are seen as such - accessories. Exotic. Submissive. In much the same fasion as you are sterotyped a certain way, so am I - and many others. It can go both ways with black men sterotyping white women etc... - but not as big of an issue as black women and white men - at least to society.

    Yeah, but in the end - I'm just your average "white" girl deep down though. ;)

    By Blogger Asian Mistress, at 2/02/2006 12:22:00 PM  

  • amazing post . . . i'm at a loss for words. being a black woman, its difficult to put our frustrations into words, but i think you captured not only the "mixed" issue, but the race issue period. i'm one of those sisters who is open-minded when it comes to my friends, but wants to fall in love with a brother.

    going to college in the south, having a mixed best friend taught me a lot - when we went out, depending on where we were i would get more attention (if the crowd was mostly white) and she would get attention (with black guys). but it really came down to hearing the comments, "you're pretty for a dark skinned girl" or "you're not as mean as i thought you would be for me to realize the stigma placed on not only race, but color as well.

    i'm going to see this movie with one of my friends who dated a white guy for two years, but can't maintain a relationship with a black guy to save her life. she and i haven't had a good black love movie to discuss since love jones. i'll be sure to post my thoughts once i see it.

    By Blogger NubianTemptres43, at 2/02/2006 01:34:00 PM  

  • Bravo Siryn! I really enjoyed reading your post. As a black woman I have only dated white men for over 10 years. Why? Well, it's my choice. Yes, I am attracted to black, middle eastern, asian, indian, hispanic, etc...but I prefer to date white. For me, it isn't a big deal. My family is very open-minded and we have interracial couplings on both sides of my family.
    The only thisn about the movie that bothers me is the fact that it's a big deal that she is dating a white man. It shouldn't be. Among my friends it isn't. They could give two shits. Then again, I have a very diverse group of friends. However, I would have liked to have seen this movie be about romance and discovering love and not so much about "ooh, she is dating a white man". Once we stop making a big deal out of interracial couplings, then we have truly made progress.
    I still will see this movie, because I like to see interracial couples on screen. I especially like seeing women like me dating white men. Successful, attractive, intelligent women dating whomever they want.
    Word.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/02/2006 02:34:00 PM  

  • I received a couple of notes about this post. It's very, very good. Thanks for writing this.

    By Blogger kob, at 2/02/2006 10:53:00 PM  

  • One of my high school teachers summed it up like this for me & another bright, intelligent black gal.... "Too smart for black guys and white guys don't know what to do with you." Well now I wouldn't say too smart but extremely unwilling to play dumb and put up with crap.
    Yours is a wonderful posting.

    By Blogger Mari, at 2/03/2006 09:09:00 AM  

  • Wordy McWord!!!! Great post. And the whole Asian accessory thing works if you are willowy and exotic. I was once turned down by a guy because my English was too fluent. Your post brings up a great point about mixed race folks and the fact that there is a polarized black/white dynamic when it coems to identity. Look at Halle Berry. Her mother is white but she never identifies as mixed race. Neither has Barack Ombama. BTW I was just on the phone iwth a friend and we SOOO want to see Something New.

    By Blogger DC Food Blog, at 2/03/2006 09:49:00 AM  

  • Thank you all.

    I heart diversity. :)

    It shouldn't be a big deal in 2006 for a black woman to be dating a white man, but that's the state of this country. I don't see it going away for... oooh, eons. What a sad state of affairs.

    By Blogger Siryn, at 2/03/2006 10:10:00 AM  

  • great post.
    but as a nigerian-american, i sometimes find myself having no patience for the small narrow lens most african-americans choose to view the world. i've dated white men before and am currently dating one.

    the issues are tough, crippling, depressing ones. i saw the movie a couple of weeks ago during a free preview and thoroughly loved it.

    By Blogger nanadc, at 2/03/2006 01:00:00 PM  

  • HEY! This is only tangentially related to your post.

    I didn't know you were black. The only reason I mention this is because when I was reading some other stuff on your blog (where you went to law school, what type of law you practice and where, and that you heart ballroom) I realized that I may have met you. So I checked my old emails and saw that I did in fact meet you. What a small world. I won't mention your real name, but we met dancing a couple of years ago.

    By Blogger HomeImprovementNinja, at 2/03/2006 03:00:00 PM  

  • This is a great post. My reaction pretty much matches Jamy's - I'm always aware that there are underlying frustrations and challenges but sometimes it's easy for me to forget. I do appreciate hearing about others' experiences and being reminded.

    I hope it's an encouraging sign that a friend and I tried to see the movie last night at Gallery Place and it was sold out. :-)

    By Blogger Stef, at 2/04/2006 12:47:00 PM  

  • Nana - yeah, that limited world view is particularly offensive to me. I feel that it takes away power, when in this day and age, black people are supposed to be more empowered than their predecessors.

    I didn't go see it yet but I am going to try to go soon. I had a date tonight, and movies aren't necessarily great for first dates if you want to actually TALK to someone. :)

    Stef - thank you. Wouldn't it be awesome if the movie was #1 this weekend? I read some critic predicting that the movie wouldn't have any crossover appeal. I think it would say a lot more about race relations in this country if it DID have crossover appeal and went to #1 - Houston, we've got progress.

    By Blogger Siryn, at 2/05/2006 12:35:00 AM  

  • Hey - I'm linking to this. Hope that's okay! :-)

    By Blogger Stef, at 2/15/2006 10:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home