Siryn's Song

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Change in the Air

Looks like my first few cases will be coming my way soon. Talked to one of the partners and he brought up the fact that a few cases need re-assigning since we have had some personnel changes. That, plus I have a big goose egg for cases. He asked if I was willing to take some. I enthusiastically said YES! Well, not quite like that, but you get the idea. So some of the billing should come a little easier, now that I will get a chance to be responsible for something. Yeah! I'm down. I'm also exhausted. Had to pick up the end of a deposition today on the fly; the attorney that handles one of the cases I have recurring work with called and asked me to take the end of the deposition because he had some pressing stuff to do on another case for tomorrow. That case is always a drain, but it's good. I'm happy to help. Gets me out of the office. :) Tomorrow I'll be covering a different deposition in the same case. Will be down by Battery Park. I hope that the conference room has windows facing the water. That would be sweet. There are somewhere around 18 defendants and about a dozen plaintiffs, and a significant amount of money at stake. I love this stuff! Sometimes I hate it because of the energy drain, but it pleases me to be involved in something important and doing something that matters. My brother is doing well. I talked to him for a bit today while I went out to lunch. Physical therapy and occupational therapy are working him good. Even his speech is better - he sounded lighter, perkier. That's so good. Of course, we will never be truly out of the woods ever again with his tumor. But in the meanwhile, I'll take what we can get. Peace.

3 Comments:

  • I love that you remain positive when there is so much going on. I know everyday can be a challenge, but you seem to have your priorities straight.

    Congrats on the cases. That is super exciting!

    I am studying to be a paralegal now and will join the ranks of law school students in 2007.

    By Blogger Sharkbait, at 1/11/2006 08:51:00 AM  

  • This reminds me of when I still had to worry about timesheets and billables.

    Did you ever see/read Haiku Tunnel? The writer talks about the heirarchy at firms, where associates are like puppies running around trying to find billable rabbits and the partner is like the big mean dog with the studded collar who doesn't have to move much, because he knows where all the rabbits are.

    By Blogger HomeImprovementNinja, at 1/11/2006 10:49:00 AM  

  • Congrats. Very happy about your brother as well. I will put you guys in my prayers.

    By Blogger Darrell, at 1/12/2006 09:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home